Latest Headlines

Severe thunderstorm warning in place

July 18, 2016 1:15 P.M.

Environment Canada issued a severe thunderstorm warning Monday, July 18, for areas of the southern Interior including Kamloops and the South Thompson basin.

Increasing clouds in the afternoon are expected to bring a few showers or thunderstorms, which may increase in severity by late afternoon. Across the southern Interior, upwards of 15-20 mm of rainfall may fall.

The risk of thundershowers continues Monday night with a 40 percent chance of rain. Tuesday is expected to bring the same with another 5-10 mm of precipitation. Overnight Tuesday, there is a 60 percent chance of showers.

Wednesday, with cloudy periods and a high of 27 C, is predicted to be the turning point in a three-week trend of mild and mixed weather. Sunny conditions dominate Thursday with the temperature climbing to 30 C. Friday is warmer again at 32 C with a mix of sun and cloud. Next weekend should be sunny with highs of 33-34 C.

Monday’s advisory was the second storm warning inside of a week and only the latest in a string of lightning forecasts in the Kamloops area in recent weeks. In most cases, the storms have have turned out to be far less intense that forecasts suggested, however, meteorologists say conditions are capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain of the sort that has brought localized flooding to parts of Kamloops in the summers of 2014 and 2015.

Leave a Reply

Emails will not be published