Here's the City's status report on public works projects for next week:
Overlanders Bridge Rehabilitation Project
• The south west off ramp remains closed to all traffic. Detour signage is in place directing all southbound traffic to Seymour Street.
• Heavy trucks are advised to avoid the Overlanders Bridge and use alternate routes if possible. All heavy trucks travelling southbound across the bridge must detour to the Trans Canada Highway via Seymour Street. Heavy trucks (over 10,900 kgs) are not permitted access up or down 1st Avenue off Seymour Street. (Temporary Alternate Truck Route: http://www.kamloops.ca/maps/pdfs/TruckRouteMap.pdf)
• A minimum of one travel lane in each direction on the bridge deck will remain open.
Columbia Street Widening Project
• Phase 2 work continues in the two center lanes between 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue. Traffic is restricted to the eastbound and westbound curb lanes; minimum one travel lane in each direction.
• Crews are installing irrigation and landscaping on the south side of Columbia Street. Consequently, the south sidewalk between 3rd Avenue and 6th Avenue remains closed. Pedestrians are advised to use the north sidewalk and to use the crosswalk at 4th Avenue to access the south side businesses, or the crosswalk at 3rd Avenue to access the hospital.
• With heavier than normal traffic congestion through the Columbia Street construction zone, motorists are reminded not to block intersections and to use alternate routes if possible.
• Transit users are advised that effective Monday, August 10, the #9 Gleneagles and the #7 Aberdeen buses traveling from downtown to Aberdeen will be temporarily re-routed away from Columbia Street to avoid some of the congestion. Monday to Friday between 5 am and 6 pm, the #9 Gleneagles route will travel from the Lansdowne Exchange, up 6th Avenue to Battle Street and through the west end, and then resume regular routing at Grandview Terrace. The #7 Aberdeen route will travel the same route but this re-routing will be in effect all day / every day. Temporary bus stops will be located on Battle Street between 3rd and 6th avenues. The #4 Pacific Way and the #6 City Loop routes will not be affected. For more information, visit www.bctransit.com (trip alerts) or call 250-376-1216.
12th Street Reconstruction (Tranquille Road to Lethbridge Avenue)
• Crews will be preparing the road base and starting installation of concrete curbing between Tranquille Road and Lethbridge Avenue.
• Residents can expect intermittent, rolling full closures. Detours will be in effect.
• Residents are reminded to slow down in the construction zone and to obey all traffic control signs and personnel.