Four more outstanding city enterprises, including a nonprofit organization, are to be recognized with the addition of new categories to the Chamber of Commerce & TD Business Excellence Awards.
The new categories and sponsors are: Project of the Year (CN); Small Business of the Year (KGHM International - Ajax Project); Not-for-Profit of the Year (United Way); and Environmental Stewardship (Rocky Mountaineer).
“This year we celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Business Excellence Awards in Kamloops,” said Ryan Scorgie, chamber president, at a ceremony Wednesday morning that marked the start of nominations. To mark this occasion, our board reviewed the entire awards program and are pleased to announce some changes to the program.” The additional categories as well as more stringent criteria are intended to cover gaps identified in the program, he said.
Nominations close Thursday, June 30. The list of award categories and sponsors is available online at kamloopschamber.ca.
“Last year we had a record year, so we’re trying to beat that,” Scorgie said.
“It’s time for everyone to think about who they want to nominate,” said Lindy Baird, branch manager with main sponsor TD. “Anyone can nominate and any business can be nominated. It only takes a couple of minutes, so make someone’s year by nominating your favourites!”
Finalists will be announced on Sept. 8 leading up to the awards gala on Oct. 22.
“It really brings the business community together,” Scorgie said. “It’s an opportunity to celebrate excellence.”
General Award Criteria
Any for-profit, non-government-owned business or individual may be nominated for any award category.
- Not-for-profit organizations (excluding governments) may be nominated for the Environmental Stewardship Award, Project of the Year, Technology Innovator and Not-for-Profit of the Year.
- Governments may be nominated for the Project of the Year Award.
- Businesses must have a valid business license where required.
- Nominee must have been in business for a minimum of three years.
- Organizations, businesses or individuals may not nominate themselves for any award.
- Award winners may not be nominated in the same category for three years following their win, but can be nominated and win in other categories.
- Chamber of commerce board of directors may not be nominated.