The province has released a list of B.C. Family Day activities in practically every community in the province from Armstrong to Zeballos.
While Kamloops and area events aren’t listed, that doesn’t reflect the assortment of family activities available on and leading up to Monday, Feb. 8, the statutory holiday.
The list notes only those events that have received government funding from the B.C. Parks and Recreation Association. Evidently, no local events had that support.
Here’s a little of what’s in store for the next few days, though, as compiled by Tourism Kamloops:
- Feb. 3-6: Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada
- Feb. 5: Kamloops Storm VS Sicamous at McArthur Island Sportsplex
- Feb. 6: Kamloops Blazers vs Edmonton at The Sandman Centre
- Feb. 6: Kamloops Old Time Fiddlers at Hal Roger Centre.
- Feb. 6: First Saturdays guided tour at Kamloops Art Gallery
- Feb. 6-7: Teck B.C. Cup #2 Cross Country Ski Championship Series at Stake Lake
- Feb. 7: GKMA Ice Racing at Stake Lake
- Feb. 8: Kamloops Blazers vs Calgary at Sandman Centre
- Feb. 8: Kamloops Indoor GranFondo at the Tournament Capital Centre
- Feb. 8: 4th Annual Family Day Festival at the Tournament Capital Centre Fieldhouse.
As well, Sun Peaks Resort offers half-price full-day lift tickets (B.C. residents only) on Feb. 8 to encourage families to enjoy the slopes.
B.C. Wildlife Park marks the occasion with wildlife encounters featuring birds of prey and snakes at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively. The Wildlife Rangers Pin Collectors Club event runs from 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. at the park.
Since 2012, British Columbians have enjoyed a mid-winter holiday to spend with their families and loved ones. Now in its fourth year, BC Family Day inspires fun, family-friendly activities across the province.
B.C. Family is held the second Monday in February each year.