Latest Headlines

Dubai police: Exposed wiring likely sparked NYE tower fire

January 20, 2016 5:34 A.M.
FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2012 file photo, a woman takes photo of Tamweel residential tower as flames engulf a portion of the building at Jumeirah Lakes Towers, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Skyscraper fires like the blaze that struck a 63-story luxury hotel in Dubai on New Year’s Eve, 2016, swiftly turning it into a towering inferno, are not that rare. The fire in Dubai has raised new issues about the safety of exterior sidings put on high-rise buildings in the United Arab Emirates and around the world. (AP Photo/Kaveh Kashani, File)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Dubai police say a New Year's Eve fire at a luxury hotel in the Mideast commercial hub was likely caused by exposed wiring.

Police made the announcement at a news conference Wednesday.

Police officials showed photographs taken after the fire showing exposed, unconnected wiring between at least two apartments on the 14th and 15th floor of the building, known as The Address Downtown Dubai.

The New Year's Eve fire at hotel happened just hours before a fireworks display went ahead nearby at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

The fire raised new worries about the use of some kinds of aluminum panel cladding on skyscrapers in Dubai and other cities around the world.

The Associated Press

Leave a Reply

Emails will not be published