Latest Headlines

Count on more cool weather at weekend events

July 8, 2016 3:56 P.M.
Pritchard Rodeo takes place Saturday and Sunday, July 9-10. (YouTube)

Expect more of the same mild and mixed weather through the weekend as a calendar of outdoor events unfolds in the region.

Conditions on Friday, July 8, remained pleasant enough. Despite a 60 percent chance of thunder showers, the moisture remained up in the sky and temperatures hovered around 24 C.

Similarly, Saturday’s outlook from Environment Canada calls for a 40 percent chance of showers, possibly accompanied by lightning, and a high of 23 C. Sunday, it’s back to a 60 percent chance of showers and that’s where the probability of rain is predicted to remain right through until at least Thursday.

Cool and damp weather across the province results from an upper-level low pressure system spinning in from the Pacific.

The mixed weather may prove to be of advantage in competitive events taking place during the Kamloops Highland Games Saturday at Albert McGowan Park. The annual gathering of the tartans features dancing, piping, drumming and heavy events as well as musical entertainment. A new attraction this year: Scotch tasting with two sittings at 11 and 11:30 a.m.

Downtown, the 75th anniversary celebrations of 419 Moose Squadron include a Freedom of the City parade at 10:30 starting at Riverside Park and a squadron fly past at 11 a.m. The squadron is also part of an open house display of aircraft Sunday at Kamloops Airport, 1-4 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday, the B.C. Rodeo Association’s Pritchard Rodeo charges out of the chute with performances starting at 1 p.m. daily.

Sun Peaks Resort opens its summer concert series opens Friday with the Sam Roberts Band on the MainStage at 7 p.m., along with Kelly Spencer and Shattered Blue on the Clock Tower Stage at 5:30 and 8:30 p.m., respectively. The music plays on Saturday with bands performing at intervals from 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Emails will not be published