Grass fires — at least one of them deliberately set — have RCMP warning the public while looking for a culprit.
There were two fires last week on the hillside above Fire Hall No. 7 on Aberdeen Drive. The first on July 17 was a small grass fire that may have been accidentally ignited, possibly by a tossed cigarette. Kamloops Fire Rescue extinguished that one.
A second fire on July 21 was located off a popular hiking trail and was deliberately, Cpl. Jodi Shelkie said in a news release Monday. That fire didn’t spread and was discovered by a hiker only after it went out, apparently on its own.
“The hot summer weather is here,” Shelkie said. “Everyone must realize that any discarded cigarette could have devastating consequences for people and property. Also, purposefully setting a fire on a green space in the city is illegal.”
Kamloops RCMP and Kamloops Fire Rescue are asking anyone with information regarding either of these fires to call 250-828-3000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800- 222-8477.